2002-04-04

Oak Park disaster response team expands again

Acorn Staff Writer

The Oak Park Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) added 19 new members to its roster last week. The men and women completed a six-week training course in earthquake, flood and fire preparedness. Now in its fifth year, the community disaster response team has more than 45 active roster members. Because Oak Park lies in unincorporated Ventura County and is protected […]

National Park Service encourages pay for play



The next time you visit the great outdoors, you may feel more at home. That’s because a new program is helping American national parks branch out and improve many of their services. The Recreational Fee Demonstration program lets 137 participating national park sites retain and spend 80 percent of the entrance and user fees they collect. The remaining 20 percent […]

This club grows on you



The Conejo Valley Garden Club will present a Standard Flower Show and Plant Sale from 1 to 5 p.m. on Sat., April 6 and from 1 to 4 p.m. on Sun., April 7 at the Thousand Oaks Library, 1401 E. Janss Road, Thousand Oaks. The public is invited to view the exhibits, and admission is free. "Life’s Joys" will be […]

Pierce to offer camp activities



Los Angles Pierce College Extension will offer their summer camp program, "Kids on Campus," on their campus at 6201 Winnetka Ave., Woodland Hills. The camps are available on half-day or full-day basis. "The summer program is affordable to all, offering a variety of camps, each with a unique outdoor setting in a safe and secure environment," according to Marian Suckut […]

Sounds of drum, flute celebrated in concert



The next Camerata Pacifica concert showcasing both flute and drums will be presented at 8 p.m. on Sun., April 7 in the Forum Theatre at the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza, 2100 Thousand Oaks Blvd., Thousand Oaks. Adrian Spence (flute), Robert Van Sice, Eduardo Leandro and Jason Treuting (percussion) will be joined by pianists Joanne Pearce Martin and Vicki Ray […]

Acorn Editorial Submission Policy



The Acorn welcomes your letters and comments. “Letters to the Editor” should be no longer than 300 words, although The Acorn reserves the right to make occasional exceptions to this policy. Hand-written letters are acceptable only if they are legible. Letters must contain the writer’s telephone number and address, for verification purposes only. Anonymous letters will not be accepted and […]

Peace officers offer suggestions to parents of latchkey children

Acorn Staff Writer

Peace officers offer suggestions to parents of latchkey children Once kids are old enough to go to school, a lot of stay-at-home parents return to work. With the cost of living today, working parents are the norm. But most kids get out of school at mid-afternoon and might be at home alone until 5 or 6 or even later. What […]

Soap Box Derby time in the Conejo Valley



Soap Box Derby time in the Conejo Valley The third annual Conejo Valley YMCA Soap Box Derby will be presented on Sun., April 14 on a sloping 175-ft. hill at the YMCA, 4031 N. Moorpark Road, Thousand Oaks. Driver check-in is at 9 a.m. and the Derby gets underway at 10 a.m. More than 60 kids ranging in age from […]

Westlake Village women’s group will host lunch, guest speaker on Tuesday



The Westlake Women’s Club will host its monthly meeting and luncheon Tues., April 9 at Westlake Inn, 3200 Agoura Road, Westlake Village. The meeting begins at 10 a.m., the uncheon at noon. The cost is $18. Following lunch, Barbara Vogel will speak about puppy-raising for Guide Dogs of America, a program that provides professionally trained guide dogs and instruction in […]

CHS student gets scholarship



Stacey Borden of Calabasas has been awarded a $4,000 college scholarship from the Horace Mann Scholarship Program. The program recognized the Calabasas High School student for her educational achievements after judges selected her application as one of the top 11 among nearly 9,100 submitted from students in all 50 states. The competition was open to high school seniors who are […]


Category Pages are limited to 90 days. Please use the archive page or the search box to find older articles.