2001-10-18

City councilwoman endorses Rippe



City councilwoman endorses Rippe Good and effective leadership on the local level is necessary to maintain and continually enhance our quality of life. In November we will have the opportunity to choose these leaders for Las Virgenes Unified School District as well as for the cities of Westlake Village and Agoura Hills. Regarding the school board, I wholeheartedly endorse Bicky […]

NORTH TO ALASKA—Do you remember that song by Johnny Horton? If so, you’re no youngster. But Jack and Mignonne Alman sure look young as they read their Acorn in the bright white sunshine and snow of the Matanuska Glacier in the 49th state. Whether you’re g



NORTH TO ALASKA—Do you remember that song by Johnny Horton? If so, you’re no youngster. But Jack and Mignonne Alman sure look young as they read their Acorn in the bright white sunshine and snow of the Matanuska Glacier in the 49th state. Whether you’re going to Santa Barbara or abroad, be sure to Take Your Acorn on Vacation. We’re […]

Peace officers will cite stores that sell alcoholic beverages to teenagers



Peace officers will cite stores that sell alcoholic beverages to teenagers The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station, will assist the Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) Investigators by conducting a series of "Sales Laws Compliance" investigations during October and November. It’s hoped that public awareness of these investigations will cause all merchants to carefully monitor the age of […]

Contract management taught for small businesses



Contract management taught for small businesses Los Angeles Pierce College Extension is presenting a class to provide participants with an introduction to contract management and to demonstrate how preparing for work in the public sector can also help build businesses in the private world. In addition, how to prepare to participate in government procurement will be addressed. Instructor Jonathan Arnold […]

Register soon for Washington, D.C. trip



Register soon for Washington, D.C. trip Registration is currently open for area middle and high school students (grades 8 and above) to participate in a spring vacation tour of the nation’s capital and Colonial Williamsburg. Trip highlights also include a visit to the Smithsonian Institute and the CNN Newseum, the battlefield at Gettysburg and a tour of Ford’s Theater. The […]

Portraits of U.S. presidents coming to Reagan Library



Portraits of U.S. presidents coming to Reagan Library "Portraits of the Presidents," the most famous collection of the Smithsonian Institution’s National Portrait Gallery, will be at the Ronald Reagan Library and Museum, 40 Presidential Drive, Simi Valley, from Oct. 26-Jan. 21. The exhibit, which includes works by Rembrandt Peale, Andres Zorn and Norman Rockwell, includes 61 paintings, sculptures, photographs and […]

Vote for Iser



Vote for Iser I am writing in support of the candidacy of Cindy Iser for Las Virgenes Unified School Board. She is the only candidate endorsed by the Las Virgenes Educators Association. Cindy understands the need to improve communications between parents, teachers and the community. Most of all I like the fact that she understands the need to find solutions […]

For the record



Warner Financial, the chief contributor to the Denis Weber for Agoura Hills City Council campaign, is a a real estate investment company, not a developer. We regret the error. The Acorn failed its high school exit exam. Actually in our sample questions, we skipped the answer to question No. 3, which threw everything off, and one question wasn’t answered at […]

VICA to host business forecast conferences



The economy—prior to Sept. 11, it was the primary subject of discussion in the nation. A Time/CNN poll shows that only 10 percent of respondents are selling their stocks in light of the recent political situations. The business community may wonder what the other 90 percent are doing—pumping money into the market or waiting on the sidelines. Consumer confidence is […]

Pavley sponsors 8th grade essay contest



State Assemblywoman Fran Pavley (D-Woodland Hills), a former middle school teacher, has initiated an essay contest open to all eighth grade students in her 41st Assembly District. The "There Ought to be a Law" essay contest invites students to identify a need for a new state law, propose a law that would meet that need, and present arguments to support […]


Category Pages are limited to 90 days. Please use the archive page or the search box to find older articles.