The Malibu City Council approved a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for murdering Tristan Beaudette. The council approved the reward at its July 9 meeting.
Beaudette, a 35-year-old chemist from Irvine, was camping with his daughters, ages 2 and 4, at Malibu Creek State Park when he was shot in the head as the three slept in their tent. The children were unharmed.
After the shooting, California Parks and Recreation officials said the park would remain closed until July 8 while Los Angeles Sheriff’s detectives investigate the crime.
On June 28, Lieutenant Rodney Moore of the Lost Hills Sheriff’s Department said the detectives had processed all the evidence from the site. But as of July 10, the campground was still closed. A park employee said it’s unclear how long before it is reopened to the public.
There are no suspects or motive in the shooting, but the sheriff’s department said detectives are investigating potential links between Beaudette’s death and six previous incidents in which people had been shot at or heard gunshots in and around the park. The first incident was reported in November 2016; the last was on June 18, four days before Beaudette’s death.
In one of the incidents, a Simi Valley resident was shot in the arm while he slept at nearby Tapia Park. He was hit with birdshot, a small-gauge shotgun pellet, and the wound required stitches.
The Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station increased patrols in the Malibu Creek park vicinity after they were alerted to the reports of gunshots. Law enforcement said it would maintain a visible presence in the area to make sure visitors feel safe.